Poker is a card game which can be played by any number of players but preferably should be played by 8-9 players on a table so that game becomes manageable. Every game involves two forced bets namely small blind and big blind.
• The aim is to create the best five-card hand from the seven available cards.
• Many players can play at the same time, but it is advisable that not more than ten players should play at one table to make the game more manageable. Initially, a dealer is selected at random who deals the cards.
• Starting with the player to the left of dealer, cards are dealt and each player get two cards (also called hole cards) face down including dealer being dealt last.
• List of Winning Hands (weakest to strongest)-
- High Card – this may be in your hand or on the table
- One pair
- Two pair
- Three of a kind
- Straight (highest straight wins)
- Flush (highest flush wins)
- Full House (also called a set or boat; highest three of a kind wins)
- Four of a kind
- Straight flush
- Royal flush
A player has following options to go for-
• CHECK – A player can check if s/he does not want to put money anymore on the current betting round. This way s/he passes the action to the next immediate person (clockwise).
• BET – A player can bet if s/he is having good hand. when a player bets, the next player can either check, raise or fold.
• FOLD – Folding forfeits all the interest in the pot. A player who folds can neither put the money further nor can win that hand.
• CALL – If the player feels s/he can have chances of winning the hand s/he may call. By making a call the player has to match the current bet made by his/her opponent(s).
• RAISE – If there has been a bet on the current betting round, a player can raise which need the player to match the current bet, and then make a greater one. This make all subsequent players either to call the raise or raise again (“re-raise”) to maintain interest in the pot.
The betting continues until all players have either folded or matched the bet. The final bet is said to be “showdown.” This is the time when all players have to show their cards in-hand and the winner is determined accordingly.
All in- A player is said to be all-in when s/he puts all her/his poker chips into the pot. An all in player cannot be forced to fold the hand until s/he wishes to do so. s/he is eligible for the main pot but not for winning any money (excess of the pot) after the final bet has been made